South African woman in a scrub suit symbolizing health and welfare careers

Additional information

body or mind



Medical Field

Boss or Team

Own Boss & Team


Good Communicator

Work With


Math & Science

Maths & Science

Study Length

Prepared to Study for Years


Busy Environment

Specialist Obstetrician/ Gynaecologist

Gynaecologists and Obstetricians are specialists in female reproductive health. 

As a gynaecologist and obstetrician, you’ll need to be exceptionally knowledgeable and skilled in this field and be able to provide diagnosis and treatment of a range of diseases and problems relating to women’s health as well as providing preventative care and measures. 

Providing care to women (and the foetus) during pregnancy and childbirth forms a large part of this profession. 

How to become qualified in this field (learning path)

NSC or NC(v) with Bachelor’s Degree Pass

Degree: Bachelor of Medicine

  1. • Theoretical training: 6 years.
  2. • Student internship: 1 year.
  3. • Community Service: 1 year

* Post-graduate study: 

4-5 years specialisation: MMed (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) including residency.

Duration of study

4 Years Post Grad studies after completing the MBChB degree to obtain MMed (Obstetrics & Gynaecology) degree.


Obstetricians and Gynaecologists have many opportunities for employment including:

  • State hospitals
  • Clinics
  • Private practice

Further Information

Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HSPCA)

South African Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists:

Stand A Chance Of Winning One Of 14 Funded Courses This Youth MonthCompetition Closes 30 June 2021